Do you know what is OSI model – OSI full form. In today’s post, we will show you what is the full form of OSI and what is OSI model? Is going to give you full information about it.
Networks was a mess. The reason for this is that each vendor had its own propriety solution. This is that one vendor’s solution was not compatible with another. The OSI Model was born to solve this problem.
A layered approach was used in this. To do network in it hardware Had to design hardware for vendors network. And the software for the application layer also had to develop.
Such networks had to be made, which could be compatible with everyone. To fix this problem, ISO (International Organization for Standardization) studied different networks. Then in the year 1984, the OSI Model was ready. It was compatible with all vendors.
This OSI Model is not only a model but a very good way to make the networks compatible. In this post, we are going to tell you about the OSI model – OSI full form. Let’s see what the OSI model is. – OSI full form
OSI Full Form
|OSI Full Form||Open Systems Interconnection|
Meaning of OSI
OSI Model in Hindi – OSI stands for Open Systems Interconnection.
What is OSI model
The full form of OSI is the Open System Interconnection (OSI) model. It is an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) standard. It is a networking framework. Allowing protocols to be implemented in Seven Layers.
The OSI Layer Model has been prepared by ISO (International Organization for Standardization). In which OSI means Open Systems Interconnection. With this method, the communication system is separated into separate layers.
A layer is an assortment. of theoretically comparable functions that services offer. The layer above gets more services.
from the layer below them. The OSI Layer Model facilitates. Which also offers the user a blunder free transportation transversely a network and route. Such applications may be required.
On this, throw the layers packets and also find which provides the path to the contents. Those offering the OSI Layer Model. protocols Each of these seven layers employ a framework for networking.
It has processing control exceeded. Which is from every layer to another layer and it also continues the process till the last. If it starts processing, then it gets to the front layer by being the bottom layer and over the channel.
What is an OSI layer?
Meaning of in Communication Process – is such a process. In which the communication process is broken down into Smaller and Easier to handle interdependent categories.
What is the layer protocol?
It is a convention and rules. Which are used in such communications which are collectively called Layer protocol .
When was the OSI Model established?
The Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model was developed by ISO (International organization for standardization) in 1984. ISO is an organization. Which is dedicated to define such global communication and standards.
7 layers of OSI Model
There are 7 layers of OSI Model which is explained in detail below.
- Layer 1 – Physical Layer
- Layer 2 – Data Link Layer
- Layer 3 – Network Layer
- Layer 4 – Transport Layer
- Layer 5 – Session Layer
- Layer 6 – Presentation Layer
- Layer 7 – Application Layer
How to remember OSI layers?
These OSI Layers are not so easy to remember. But if you use a mnemonic. So you can remember this layer very easily. Which is: “ Please do not through sabji Paratha Anywhere “.
1. Physical Layer – Please
2. Data Link Layer – do
3. Network Layer – not
4. Transport Layer – through
5. Session Layer – sabji
6. Presentation Layer – Paratha
7. Application Layer – Anywhere
The physical layer is the lowest layer in the OSI model. This layer is responsible for physical and electrical connection. Such as: – Voltage, data rates etc.
In this layer the digital signal changes to the electrical signal.
In this layer, the topology of the network and the layout of the network (the size of the network) also work in it.
Physical layer describes whether communication will be wireless or wired.
This layer is also called Bit unit.
What are the functions of Physical layer
1. Physical layer defines how two and more devices connect physically together.
2. By this layer it is defined which transmission mode will be between two devices in the network.
3. Which of the following will be simplex, half-duplex, and full duplex.
4. It determines the Signal that transmits the information.
Data link layer
Data link layer in OSI MODEL is another number layer from below. This layer has two sub layers
1.MAC (Media Access Control)
2.LLC (Logic link control)
In this layer, Packets of data sent by the network layer are decode and encode.
This layer is also called Frame unit. In this layer, two protocols are used for data transmission.
1. high-level data link control (HDLC)
2. PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol)
Functions of Data Link Layer
1. This layer translates physical raw bit stream into packets. These packets are called frames. It adds header and trailer to layer frames.
2. Its job is to control flow. In this, a fixed data rate is maintained from both the receiver and sender. So that no data is corrupted.
3. This controls the error. CRC (cyclic redundancy check) is added with trailer in it. So that no errors are encountered in the data.
4. When two or more devices connect to a communication channel. This layer determines which device is given access.
The data that is in the
Network Layer. It is similar to a packet (Data set) and it is the network layer to move these packets from source to destination.
This layer is also called Packet unit.
Network Layer Functions
1.Network Layer has inter networking. It provides logical connection available across different devices.
2. It adds source and destination address to the header of the frame. Address is used to identify devices in the internet.
3. The work of this layer is also done in routing. It determines the best path.
The Transport layer is the fourth layer of the OSI model. The data used for this layer is transferred correctly from the network. The work of this layer is also to make communication available between two computers.
It is also called Segment unit.
Functions of Transport Layer
1. Transport layer function data has to be transmitted from one computer to another.
2. When this layer recieve the message from the upper layers. So it splits the message into very abstract segments. And each segment has a sequence number. This allows a segment to be easily identified.
3. It provides two types of service: – connection oriented and connection less.
4. It performs both flow control and error control types.
Session Layer is the fifth layer of the OSI model. Which greatly controlls the connection of the computer.
Session Layer Functions
1.session layer works like a dialog controller.
2. It creates the dialog between two processes.
3. It also fulfills the work of synchronization. And whenever an error occurs in transmission. Then the transmission is redone.
The presentation layer is the sixth layer of the OSI model. encryption and decryption. This is also used for data compression.
Functions of Presentation Layer:
1. Character code translation : eg: – ASCII to EBCDIC.
2. Data conversion: bit order, CR-CR / LF, integer-floating point, etc.
3. Data compression: This reduces the number of bits. Which is transported in the network.
4. Data encryption: It encrypts the data for security purpose. Such as password encryption.
The application layer acts as a window. For user and application processes so that they can access network services.
It is always implemented in the end system. This is a program that sends or receives data and also in between protocol stacks.
When you download or send emails, then your e-mail program layer contacts you. And this layer provides network services to end-users such as Mail, ftp, telnet, DNS.
Application Layer Function
- Resource sharing or device redirection
- Remote file access
- Remote printer access
- Inter-process communication
- Network management
- Directory services
- Electronic messaging
Advantage of OSI model
1: – This is a generic model. It is also considered a standard model.
2: – The OSI model’s layers are very specific for services, interfaces, and protocols.
3: – This is a very flexible model as any protocol is implemented in it.
4: – It supports both connection oriented and connection less services.
5: – It uses divide and conquer Technique. Which makes all services work in different layers. This makes it easy to administrate and maintain the OSI model.
6: – If it is changed in any one layer. It does not affect the second layer.
7: – It is very secure and adaptable.
Disadvantage of OSI model
1; – It does not define any special protocol.
2: – It is sometimes difficult to implement new protocols as this model was created before the invention of these protocols.
3: – There is duplication of services in it. Such as transport and data link layer both have error control method.
4: – In this all the layers are interdependent on each other.
So, friends, we hope you have got all the information related to What is OSI model – OSI full form full information about em> is given. We hope that all of you would have liked our post. We always try to give you as much information as possible. In this article, we have tried to give you all kinds of information.
By reading this article What is OSI model – OSI full form you will get all kinds of information. If you have any doubts related to this article. Or do you have to ask us anything. So you guys can comment on us.
If you have got anything to learn from this post of our What is OSI model – OSI full form So at least share this post on facebook, twitter, instagram etc.