Before we learn What is a Database Management System. we should also understand Data, Information, and Database.
|Data||Data are the raw facts and pieces of information with no context. It means that data may be text, number, images, video or webpage, etc.|
|Information||When data is processed organized structure or presented in a given context so as to make its use is called information. For example, suppose the number of students registered for the java class.|
|Knowledge||It is a collection of interesting and useful information.|
|database||A database is a collection of related data from which uses can efficiently retrieve the desires information. For example:-|
collection of names, addresses of students.
collection of images of students.
collection of videos of students.
What is a Database Management System
Database Management System is a collection of data and a set of programs to access and store those data in an easy efficient manner. it is software that is used to manage the database.
For example, Oracle, MySQL, etc are popular commercials.
The main goal of a DBMS is for providing a way o store the data and retrieve database information. The database system is designed to manage the whole body’s information.
Components of DBMS
|Uses||application programmer, end uses, database administration.|
|Software||controls the organization, storage, management, and retrieving of data in the database.|
|Hardware||The hardware of the system can ring from PC to hardware of components. Does it also include various storage devices like hard disk and input/output devices like monitor, printer, etc?|
|Data||the data store in the database includes numerical, data.|
- The building block of database
- Advantages of database
- Application of database
- Drawbacks of database
The building block of database
- columns or fields
- rows, tuples, or records
Advantages of the database management system
- Data redundancy and inconsistency:- it controls data DBA avoid multiple file-formats, duplication of information in different files.
- shared data:- shared data is those which are accessing by the uses or any application programs.
- security:- In DBMS our data is secure.
- data isolation:- its is create multiple files and formats.
- data independence:- The capacity to change the schema at one level of a database system without having to change the schema. There are two types of data independent logical data and physical data.
Application of database
|Sales||customers, products, purchases|
|Manufacturing||production inventory, orders, supply chain|
|human resource||employee record, salaries, a tax deduction|
|Telecommunication||records of calls, montly bills|
Why not use database management system
The overhead cost of using dbms
- the high initial investment in hardware, software, and training.
- cost of defining and processing data.
- overhead for security, concurrency control recovery.
Hence, it’s may be more desirable to use regular files under
- A simple well-defined database app that is not expected to change.
- no multiple users access to data.
if you like this article so, please share it with your friends. In the article what is a Database Management System we are trying to tell all the information about this. if you have any doubts. you can comment on this page.
In this article What is a Database Management System you learn something about this. so please share on facebook , twitter , Instagram etc.