PST Full Form: PST in English
You are here because you have a file extension whose file extension is .pst. Files with file extension .pst can only be launched by certain applications. It is possible that .pst files are data files rather than documents or media, which means they are not meant to be viewed at all.
PST Full Form
|Full Form of PST is||Personal Storage Table|
What is PST?
A PST file, or Personal Storage Table (.pst) file, is a Microsoft Outlook data file that stores users’ Outlook data for POP3, IMAP, and web-based mail accounts, including all mail folders and folders. Includes items within, such as Email, Email Attachments, Items and Appointments, Contacts and more.
What does PST mean?
Personal Storage Table files are used in all versions of Microsoft Outlook from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2016. In early versions of Outlook (Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2002), PST files were stored in ANSI format and had a maximum size of only 2GB, while later versions save PST files in Unicode format with a maximum size of 20GB ( Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007) and 50GB (for Outlook 2010).
PST files can be compacted using the “Compact Now” option in the Data File Management area of Outlook, and corrupt PST files can be repaired using Microsoft’s ScanPST application or a third-party application .
A similar Outlook data file known as an OST file or Offline Storage Table (.ost) file serves as the cache for Microsoft Outlook’s Cached Exchange Mode feature.
As with OST files, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft Hotmail (via the Outlook Hotmail connector) store versions of users’ Outlook or Hotmail data on the local computer instead of on the mail server to provide these contents .
Unlike PST files, OST files are associated with mail account configuration and cannot be opened or backed up individually.
How to locate .pst file?
If you don’t know where you have an old or existing .pst file on your computer or want to add a .pst file to your Outlook profile, use the following steps:
To search for the .pst files:
Windows 10 or Windows 7: Select the icon labeled Type here to search in the taskbar.
In Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition: Click on Start – Search and then select Files or Folders.
*.pst, and then press Enter or select Find Now. Locate the location of the desired .pst file in Outlook.
How to export .pst file data?
How to export .pst file data
If you only want to back up a portion of your Outlook data, you can create a new backup .pst file of only the data you want to save.
This is also known as exporting .pst file data.
For example, you may want to use this section if you only have important information in some folders and you have less important items in other, much larger folders. You can export only important folders or contacts and exclude folders like Sent Mail.
In Outlook 2010:
Use the following steps to export a specific folder:
Select the File tab.
In the Options window in Outlook, select Advanced.
In the Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file in File, and then select Next.
Select Outlook Data File (.pst), and then select Next.
Select the folder to export, and then select Next.
Select Browse, and then select the location where you want to save the new .pst file.
In the File Name box, type the name you want to use for the new .pst file, and then select OK.
How to import .pst file data into Outlook?
How to import .pst file data into Outlook
PST in English – How to Import .pst File Data in Outlook
If the original .pst file is corrupted or lost, you can use a backup copy of your .pst file to restore your Outlook data. Everything saved in the .pst file is returned to Outlook.
In Outlook 2010:
Use the following steps to restore or import your data into Outlook:
1. Select the File tab.
2. In the Open category, select Import.
3. Import and Export Wizard In the wizard, select Import from another program or file and then select Next.
4. Select Outlook Data File (.pst), and then select Next.
5. Type the path and name of the .pst file you want to import or select Browse to select the file to import.
6. Select Next.
7. Select the folder you want to import. To import everything in a .pst file, select the top of the hierarchy.
8. Select Finish.
How to transfer Outlook data from one computer to another?
How to transfer Outlook data from one computer to another computer
How to transfer Outlook data from one computer to another
You cannot share or synchronize .pst files between one computer and another. However, you can still transfer Outlook data from one computer to another.
Use the instructions in the section “To make a backup copy of the .pst file”. To copy the .pst file to a CD or DVD-ROM or other portable media, or copy the file to another computer over a LAN/WAN link.
You want to create a new, secondary .pst file that is just for transferring data. Save the data that you want to transfer in this new .pst file and remove the data which you do not want to transfer. If you need to create a secondary .pst file to store data for transfer between two computers or for backup purposes, use the following steps.
In Outlook 2010:
- Select the File tab.
- In the Info category, select the Account Settings button and then select Account Settings.
- In the Account Settings window, select the Data Files tab
- Select Add, select Outlook data file (.pst), and then select OK.
- Type a unique name for the new .pst file . For example, type Transfer.pst, and then select OK.
- Close Outlook.
Follow these steps to copy an existing .pst file:
PST in English – Follow these steps to copy an existing .pst file:
- Use the instructions in “How to Create a Backup Copy of a .pst File” to make a copy of the .pst file that you want to transfer. Make sure you copy the backup .pst file to a CD-ROM or some other type of removable media.
- Copy the backup .pst file from the removable media to another computer.
- To import .pst file data into Outlook on another computer, follow the steps in the “To import .pst file data into Outlook” section
How to point Outlook to your new Personal Folders file?
How to point Outlook to your new personal folders file
PST in English – How to Point Outlook to Your New Personal Folders File
Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Open Outlook 2010.
- Select the File tab on the ribbon, and then the Info tab on the menu.
- Select the Accounts Settings tab and then select Accounts Settings again.
- Select Add on the Data Files tab.
- Under Save as, select Outlook Data File (*.pst).
- Select the new location for your .pst file, and then select OK.
- Select the .pst file and then select Set as Default.
- Select OK.
- Restart Outlook.
- Your profile will now point your .pst file to the new location. Outlook opens your new .pst file, and you can now delete the .pst file from its old location.
FAQs on PST
What is the purpose of a PST file?
PST file or Personal Storage Table is a file where MS Outlook stores email items like emails, contacts, appointments, tasks and many other data. Once you set up an Outlook account, the PST file is automatically created and the data is linked to the account and will be stored in the PST file.
This is the most common file that contains information in Outlook for home users or small businesses. Saved by organizations.
The PST file contains all your Outlook data. Email Folders, Contacts, Calendar, Journal and Tasks. This may also include rules, depending on your version.
We hope you liked our post (What happens in PST file and PST Full Form). If you have any query related to this post then you can comment us below.